Life as a university student allows you the freedom to study abroad and be exposed to a whole different culture. From educational benefits, self-development opportunities, and greater career prospects; a semester abroad is quite beneficial. It’s also been found that experience abroad could build your problem-solving skills and enhance creativity.
If you’re interested in studying in or about Japan, it’s definitely only natural that you’d want to be there! And Tsunagu Japan agrees! Going abroad gives you a chance to immerse yourself in language and culture 24/7, Travel to new places, and become friends with Japanese students.
But aren’t all programs cancelled due to COVID-19?
Indeed, the pandemic has halted exchange programs in most parts of the world. In Japan as well, many international students were unable to begin their studies.
But come 2021 (and Olympics!!), study abroad opportunities are rising! And one of these is Keio University’s Summer Program! Virtual but nonetheless going ahead; this program hosts students from all over the globe for a roughly two-month long experience! Check out its previous runs.
So where is Keio University?
This leading private university lies in the heart of Tokyo! Donning a very high research output, it ranks in the Top 200 in the world on QS Rankings (2021). Within Japan, it is ranked 14th by Times Higher Education as of 2020.
So what are some of the best aspects of their summer program?
- You’ll actually be doing some real study! That is because you will be able to transfer credits back to your home university. Provided you pass all the courses undertaken at Keio, you’ll receive grades and a transcript. For finding out more about how to do this, we highly recommend getting in touch with your home university to understand the process.
- By being able to take a minimum of 4 courses or a maximum of 8, there a flexible options depending on how much time you have! You can choose from a wide variety of classes ranging from language to history, law, or even otaku culture!
- We understand that remote learning is nowhere near to being in Japan. But remote learning means you’ll save money on travel and accommodation. You’ll also still be able to make connections online! Once the borders re-open, you can head to Japan and have someone to catch up with! Meanwhile, learning from Japanese academics will still be a unique experience!
- Did you know that Keio research team’s discovered that storing ozone by hydration processes can help deactivate the efforts of COVID-19? Keio is no stranger to relevant and groundbreaking discoveries like that.
Quick!! How do I apply?
Applications opened on: Thursday, February 4, 2021
Deadline: 09:00 AM on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 (Japan Standard time [JST]).
Program Duration: Late may – late July 2021
Program fee: 260,500 JPY (excluding accommodation). An extra fee of around 7,000 JPY will be charged by a company handling those payments. If successful, payment must be made no later than 09:00 AM on 5th April (JST).
Location: Zoom (unfortunately!!)
Eligibility: Currently enrolled, full-time undergraduate students at a university outside of Japan and must not be currently studying in Japan. Must be fluent in English. No Japanese skill required. Applicants must have completed at least one full year of studies at their home institutions before participating in the program.
Application documents: Academic transcripts, CoE (certificate of enrolment at your home university), passport copy, JPEG headshot, TOEFL/IELTS test results (if required).
English requirements: TOEFL/PBT: 550, TOEFL/iBT: 79, IELTS: 6.0 or above
Minimum GPA required at the time of application: 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Contact Keio’s International Center at [email protected] if you have any questions about the application process or the program itself!
The application process may involve sending documents by post, so please be aware of this. You may also have to arrange for documents from your home university. Depending on how long it takes, if you’re planning on applying, do it NOW. In that case, your application can reach Japan before the deadline!
Are there any scholarships?
- Before anything else, get in touch with your home institution regarding financial support. They may be able to guide you to resources at home or abroad!
- Keio has also listed information on how to apply for a scholarship with them. If you want to know more, contact them at the email address mentioned above.
- Check out AO Japan’s information on scholarships to Japan and keep researching!
Doing a semester abroad can open many horizons. Despite being remote, if you’re an explorer at heart, experiencing an entirely new education system is exciting! So, if you’re interested… what are you waiting for? APPLY NOW!
For further reading:-
- If you’re from Victoria (Australia) and interested in Keio’s Summer Program, check out this scholarship that may finance your tuition fees! [Walter Mangold Language Scholarship]
- Check out Olly’s 10 excellent tips on applying for a scholarship!
If not for Sarah Strugnell’s recommendation, this article wouldn’t have existed.
Thanks to her guidance, students around the world are better aware of what Japan has to offer!
Latest posts by Varsha Patil (see all)
- Unlock life at Keio: Apply now to 2021 Summer Program - February 5, 2021
- How to successfully network in Japan for a job during COVID - January 29, 2021
- Volunteering in Japan: Yasmin’s memorable ISA experience - December 17, 2020
- 3 Ways To Unlock Career Success In Japan - November 15, 2020