When I began my degree in 2009 a $5000 overseas travel grant from the Australian Government seemed like a pretty good deal to study in China. Five years on and the stock in Asia-bound scholarships has skyrocketed. They are now worth a sum more than most Australians make in a year! In this post Asia Options introduces the latest government scholarship in which undergraduate students are eligible for up to $67,000 in funding to study in Asia.
What is the New Colombo Plan Scholarship?
The Australian Government has committed more than AUD $100 million to fund theThe New Colombo Plan in its first five years. The prestigious New Colombo Plan Scholarships support Australian undergraduates to undertake semester-based study and internships or mentorships in the Indo-Pacific. The program is open to Australian undergraduate students from 18 to 28 years old seeking to transfer credit towards their degree at an Australian university.
The program offers students up to AUD $67,000 for study of up to one academic year, plus internships of up to six months. Students must be nominated by their Australian home university and nominations by Australian universities typically open mid-year. Successful recipients can commence studies from January 1st to December 31st the following year.
The New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant funds Australian universities to implement short and long-term study, internship, mentorship, practicum and research programs in China for undergraduate students. Universities are able to include some students aged over 28 in the mobility program. In both cases, undergraduate students should contact their Study Abroad Office or relevant faculty at their home university for application details.
- An Australian citizen. Applicants with dual citizenship are eligible, however you must undertake the scholarship in a third country, of which you are not a citizen;
- Between 18 and 28 years of age at the commencement of your scholarship program;
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree level program at the commencement of the scholarship and be in at least the second year of your program.
- Applying to go on exchange to an eligible destinations for either 1 or 2 semesters
- Receive credit from your exchange towards your degree
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria. Applicants should address each criterion and limit their responses to 300 words per criteria.
- Demonstrated academic excellence (70 per cent weighting)
- Demonstrated leadership in the local community (15 per cent weighting)
- Describe how this experience enhances your cultural awareness, employment potential and ability to operate in new and changing environments (15 per cent weighting)
Asia Option Resources
Read stories from Asia Options readers who have successfully applied for and experienced the NCP program, including their tips, highlights and study programs.
- Top 8 Tips for Applying for the New Colombo Plan
- Ryan Cunningham on his New Colombo Plan experience in China
- Clarence Ma on her New Colombo Plan experience in Japan
- Where to study in China and how to pick the right university
- Rose Vassel New Colombo Scholar’s first impressions of Taiwan
- How to apply for a New Colombo Mobility Grant
- An Offer You Can’t Afford to Ignore: New Colombo Plan Scholarship
To apply for the New Colombo Plan please see the scholarship website.
Latest posts by Olly Theobald (see all)
- Teaching in Taiwan for Foreigners - November 23, 2017
- The secret CV weapon to cracking the China job market - August 14, 2017
- Italki Student Review | Get a Language Tutor on the Cheap-side - January 13, 2017